Tuesday, April 2, 2013

The Civil War in unexpected places.

I am always surprised where I find mentions to the Civil War. For instance, I enjoy watching streams of popular video games. Sometimes, these streams show advertisements, just like regular television programs. Well today, the ad that I got to watch was actually about 5 minutes long (even though it gave me a chance to skip it after 5 seconds.) However, I stuck it out and was rewarded with a hilarious cross over between Gears of War and the Civil War. For those of you who don't know, Gears of War is a popular video game that is published for Microsofts Xbox 360. The general gist of the commercial was that these two groups of reenactors (Civil War and Locust War from GoW) had booked the same field on the same day. They decided to go through with both reenactments, with the Confederates teaming up with the evil locusts, and the CoGs (heros of the GoW universe) with the Union. What ensued was a hilarious attempt at making the futuristic CoG soldiers into nostalgic Civil War soldiers, complete with botched speeches from General Grant. And as the dust settles, and the "main character" of the commercial lays dying, we are treated to his last thoughts before the end the reenactment.


PS:

I did some digging, it turns out that the commercial is actually a Funny or Die sketch. Even Better. Here is a link so people can check it out. It starts at about 9:42, but hopefully my link takes everyone there.


No comments:

Post a Comment